The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Information Technology Laboratory will be holding a Big Data workshop at its Gathersburg MD facility on 13 June 2012. Historically similar workshops have resulted in important exchanges of information that can help industry and government and academia bring focus to important concepts and all indications are that this event will be positive for the current dialog on Big Data. We will cover this event and provide a recap here for your reference.
More from NIST is below:
In the March 2012 unveiling of the BIG DATA Initiative, Dr. John P. Holdren, Assistant to the President and Director of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy, indicated that this new initiative promises to transform our ability to use BIG DATA for scientific discovery, environmental and biomedical research, education, and national security.
In response, NIST, in collaboration with the NSF Center for Hybrid Multicore Productivity Research (CHMPR) is convening a BIG DATA workshop, aimed at exploring:
- State-of-the-art core technologies needed to collect, store, preserve, manage, analyze, and share BIG DATA that could benefit from standardization
- Potential measurements to ensure the accuracy and robustness of methods that harness these technologies
In this first workshop, key national priority topics will be explored, including examples from science, health, disaster management, security, and finance. At the same time, topics in emerging technology areas, including analytics and architectures will also be discussed.
The format of the BIG DATA workshop will be a mixture of sessions, panels, and posters. Session speakers and panel members are by invite only. All interested parties are encouraged to submit:
- Extended abstracts, identifying core technologies that might benefit from standardization and current issues that contribute to uncertainty and lack of robustness in results. Abstracts should be submitted by June 8, 2012 to [email protected] with a subject line BIGDATA abstract.
- Posters, which will be presented during the conference. To submit a poster, please download this form (MS Word, .docx), and email it to [email protected] by June 8, 2012 with the subject line BIGDATA poster.
For more see: http://www.nist.gov/itl/ssd/is/big-data.cfm
- Cloudera and DataSift Partner to Deliver Big Data Insights From Social Data – MarketWatch (press release) (ctolabs.com)
- Cloudera Named a Finalist for the 2012 Red Herring Top 100 Americas Award (ctolabs.com)
- IBM taps Cloudera for big data platform (gigaom.com)
- Cloudera Day in DC: Cloudera Manager and Enterprise (ctovision.com)
- Thinking Differently – BIG DATA: Apache Hadoop, a Change Agent (ctovision.com)
- The Best Way To Get Hadoop Is Getting Better: CDH 4 in Final Beta (ctovision.com)