Everyone has had a bad boss. And perhaps you can be one too – if you play your cards right.
Here’s my Top 5 ways to be a horrible boss:
1. Belittle people – Call them names, yell at them, look down on your staff. After all, they are beneath you.
2. Tell nobody nothing – Don’t share your calendar, don’t share information about what your bosses goals are, don’t update them with key HR updates. Keep them in the dark – they don’t need to know.
3. Celebrations are for whimps – Let’s ban all birthday celebrations, going for coffee, work happy hours, summer picnics. If you aren’t working, you aren’t working.
4. Do everything yourself – Don’t delegate any work. You can’t trust the staff to be competent. So do everything and then complain they don’t do anything.
5. Be always on – Schedule meetings on weekends, write emails at 11pm and ask for input right away, conference calls at 7pm, force people to work on vacations.
Feel free to vent a little here and tell your horror story, or better yet you success story on how your boss has avoided these or other mistakes. I'll take either!