Recently we had a great conversation on "Best and Worst Government websites" - I wanted to take a step back and highlight 5 great state and local government websites from the bunch (and not just the usual suspects who rock but are often featured like utah.gov).
1) City of Austin - Clean, crisp navigation and a clear push to use the search function.
2) TN.gov - Vibrant background, clear calls to action. I also love that they give viewing options to increase size for the elderly.
3) West Hollywood - Great colors, big focus on most popular tasks, and simple translation to serve multiple populations.
4) British Columbia, Canada - Clear call to action on #1 task - apply for student loan. Lots of good white space, so it's easy to make sense of and good use of non-cheesy photos and real language (e.g. "need help paying for school?")
5) Buncombe County - clear calls on top tasks, love the weather touch in the top right.