As part of a recent leadership retreat, I got a chance to read former GE CEO Jack Welch’s book Winning.
My favorite part of the book was the chapter on leadership as it provided the most succinct framework on leadership I’ve seen.
So here’s the 8 Rules of Leadership from Jack Welch.
- Leaders relentlessly upgrade their team, using every encounter as an opportunity to evaluate, coach and build self-confidence.
- Leaders make sure people not only see the vision, the live and breath it.
- Leaders get into everyone’s skin, exuding positive energy and optimism.
- Leaders establish trust with candor, transparency and credit.
- Leaders have the courage to make unpopular decisions and gut calls.
- Leaders probe and push with a curiosity that borders on skepticism, making sure their questions are answered with action.
- Leaders inspire risk taking and learning by setting the example.
- Leaders celebrate!
Which rule resonates with you? Where do you see government leaders struggle the most?