Let me begin by saying that I enjoy growing within this GovLoop stratosphere. The camaraderie is amazing. Fresh faces continue to sign on daily. Blog posts & discussions are always worthwhile-n-thought provoking. It’s this type of environment that has helped to motivated me to Legendary status in a New York minute.
But, I do have a challenge. It’s trying to read some of the long posts. It would reallllly be helpful if we, as writers, consider the reading time of our fellow awesomites.
Okay Mr. “Legendary Status in a New York Minute”, Uh Huh, since you wanna bring this up, Uh Huh, how long is too long? Now, since you from the Show-Me-State, you need to show me some data. Because you are not all that. Not up in this camp.
- A little research reveals that the average reader spends 96 seconds reading the average blog. This is consistent across several sources
- Average American adult reads text at 250 to 300 words per minute [Wikipedia]
This equates to about 400 – 480 words in a blog post. I’m more inclined to read that!!!!
It’s also fair to mention that the most popular blog posts here on GovLoop ( the ones with the most comments) have less than 400 words.
I just cant GET IT ALL IN WHEN ALL I’M WORKING WITH IS 96 SECONDS!
I need some suggestions, a workaround, a quick fix, something. How long is gonna take you to write that? I know it won’t be over 96 seconds……
- Break Your Post Up Over Several Posts
- Keep it simple. We’re a pretty smart bunch
- Use hyperlinks but don’t overdue it
- Pictures can help breakup the content and are worth a thousand words.
- I would love to hear your suggestions and links!
Of course, there is nothing hard and fast about this logic.
That being said. Bloggers please;
Be Awesome. Continue to submit those post that I love to read.
Be Considerate. By ensuring that your post is of a manageable, readable size.
If you like this article make it awesome. Thanks again, James.