As America celebrates the Fourth of July this year, several federal agencies and the White House have released commemorative information via Twitter and other social media, including:
- USA.gov & OPM: "The Fourth of July, or Independence Day, is a federal holiday that celebrates the adoption of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776. Find facts about the history of the holiday, information on fireworks safety, laws and celebrations, and tips to make your July 4th fun and safe."
OPM News @USOPM
From all of us here at OPM we hope you have a safe, happy, and healthy Independence Day: usa.gov/Topics/Indepen…
1:52 p.m. Thu, Jul 4
- GPO & VA: "Core Documents of Our Democracy: This collection provides American citizens with direct online access to the basic Federal Government documents that define our democratic society. These titles contain information about the democratic process that are critical to informed citizens. They support the public's right to know about the essential activities of their Government."
Happy Independence Day from VA! Take some time today to read the core documents of our democracy. gpo.gov/libraries/core…
1:41 p.m. Thu, Jul 4
- Census Bureau: "On this day in 1776, the Declaration of Independence was approved by the Continental Congress, setting the 13 colonies on the road to freedom as a sovereign nation. As always, this most American of holidays will be marked by parades, fireworks and backyard barbecues across the country."
U.S. Census Bureau @uscensusbureau
Happy #July4! The est. # of ppl living in US is 316.2 mil compared to 2.5 mil living in newly independent US in 1776. go.usa.gov/bSvQ
10:33 a.m. Thu, Jul 4
27 Retweets 7 Favorites
- The White House: Photo Gallery, "From the Archives: A Fourth of July with the Presidents..." and YouTube video/song (three minutes), America the Beautiful.
Happy birthday America (and Malia)! Feeling so blessed to share it with family, friends & inspiring military families. #4thofJuly –mo
7:34 p.m. Thu, Jul 4
224 Retweets 172 Favorites
The White House @whitehouse
At 6:00ET, the President & First Lady welcome military families to the WH for a #4thofJuly celebration. Watch: at.wh.gov/mFqL8
5:55 p.m. Thu, Jul 4
99 Retweets 33 Favorites
The White House @whitehouse
America the Beautiful: at.wh.gov/mFpFT #Happy4thofJuly
1:54 p.m. Thu, Jul 4
225 Retweets 117 Favorites
- Library of Congress: "Declaration of Independence. On July 4, 1776, the Second Continental Congress, meeting in Philadelphia in the Pennsylvania State House (now Independence Hall), approved the Declaration of Independence, severing the colonies' ties to the British Crown...American Memory Historical Collections."
Happy Fourth of July! Take a moment to celebrate by reading the Declaration of Independence: loc.gov/rr/program/bib…
5:38 p.m. Wed, Jul 3
132 Retweets 32 Favorites
- DOJ: DOJ Civil Rights @CivilRights
Happy July 4th! Special thanks to our servicemembers who have sacrificed - as well as all those who fight for opportunity and justice.
11:55 a.m. Thu, Jul 4
- DoD/CAP @DoDCAP
Happy #IndependenceDay from our nation's capital! Thank you to the Service members who continue to keep our US free pic.twitter.com/ZablBrzNFg
11:45 a.m. Thu, Jul 4
- Census Bureau: Infographic...