How about doing something different?
Here are my starters for ten:
- Opt out of the Official Publishing contract for House Papers e.g. for publishing VFM reports.
- Negotiate direct with the House of Commons and find out what they really want. After all the NAO is part of the House so why not talk direct?
- We could also talk direct with the various organisations who have subscriptions via their libraries and find out what they really want.
- Print on demand obviously.
- Become our own publishing house with an open publishing platform like the Guardian. Not using The Stationery Office or anything similar.
- Use Digital Object Identifiers
- Have our own ISBN.
- All content with API stream.
- All tables and charts easy to export by users to import into Word documents or slides.
- All digital content have built in tracking so if a chart is exported we can track where it goes. (Not sure this technology exists yet)