1. OpenGovernment Reports from the UK and Australia (12//2009): See how Australia and the U.K. have developed plans similar to the U.S. Australia encourages “info-philanthropy” (such as a tax deduction for sharing data) and having employees engage online and experiment with new ideas. The U.K. is opening up data, integrating cross-jurisdictional information, emphasizing personal responsibility, and using information to improve life outcomes.
— Australian report, Engage: Getting on with Government 2.0 (http://www.finance.gov.au/publications/gov20taskforcereport/index.html)
— UK report, Putting the Frontline First: smarter government (http://www.hmg.gov.uk/media/52788/smarter-government-final.pdf)
2. Using Geographic Information Systems to Increase Citizen Engagement (04/09/2010): Traces dramatic increase of the use of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and huge potential for government use, such as providing transit, crime, and other information that is geographic-based. Includes case studies of local governments successfully using GIS. Explains the power of GIS to increase citizens’ participation in planning and decision making.
3. FY 2010 Report to Congress on the Benefits of the E-Government Initiatives (Office of Management and Budget, 12/2009). Describes each E-Government initiative, including objectives, costs, benefits, and risks, plus distribution of E-Government funding across agencies. (http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/assets/egov_docs/FY10_Benefits_Report_-_Final_-_CD.pdf)
1. NASA Multimedia archive (03/30/2010): NASA has teamed with The Internet Archive to archive its image, video, and audio collections in a single, searchable resource.
2. How Tweet It Is! Library of Congress Acquires Twitter Archive (04/14/2010). That’s right. Every public tweet, ever, since Twitter’s inception in March 2006, will be archived digitally at the Library of Congress.
3. Citizen Service Award winners announced: Winners include agencies who provided great customer service, including a shortened Federal Student Aid online application, web and call center outreach for the TV converter box coupon program, and the Child Welfare Information online gateway.