Recently, I’ve become obsessed with Department of Interior’s Instagram page.
To me, it’s one of the best examples of government social media and it’s super simple – one great photo of a National Park per day (taken by the Department or visitors of the park). Each photo will receive between 2,000 and 4,000 hearts and the account has over 45,000 followers.
There are three main reasons I think this works:
- Great content – social media is really simple. Give people what they want. People love their national parks & love great photos about them
- It’s consistent - you know what to expect as a participant and it’s simple as an agency – one great photo per day
- Serves their mission – The mission of Interior is to protecting the America’s great outdoors. By engaging with citizens daily, it reminds us all the importance of protecting the outdoors (and funding the protection of the outdoors). It also increases tourism, attendance, and engagement with the parks.
More GovLoop on Social Media:
- GovLoop Guide: Social Media in Government
- GovLoop Live – Redefining Citizen Engagement
- GovLoop’s Social Media Hub
Want More GovLoop Content? Sign Up For Email Updates