As some of you know, I have a new son, who is now almost 9 weeks old. I travel quite a bit (average 10 days per month away from home) and in order to limit the amount of nights that I am on the road, I have started setting little rules for myself:
1. Try to be away no more than one night at a time and two tops.
2. If I have a speaking engagement or meeting after 1 p.m., I fly up that morning so that I avoid an extra overnight.
3. Skip the happy hour on the last day of an event and get home instead.
4. If a trip is within 4 hours of our home, try to bring the family along...and help to find activities for mom and baby so that they're not stuck in a hotel room all day.
5. Call every night that I am away while my son is awake...using Skype, if possible.
What are your "rules for the road" as a traveling parent?