Well, I’m not a performance athlete. And I’m no Mark McGwire or Lance Armstrong.
But we all have our own “work performance drugs” – the legal kind that is.
Here’s my top 5 that keep me productive at work:
1. Coffee – This is the #1 stimulant in the world. And the reason the work world moves around. Personally for me, I'm a tall Pike with milk and sugar kind of guy.
2. Coke Zero/Diet Coke – Soda is key. And it seems everyone is on the diet kick these days. To me, this is an ideal afternoon boost. I've had a couple of colleagues who were obsessed with Diet Mountain Dew
3. Birthday cake – Ahh…nothing like the work birthday celebration. Got 10 things to do today but the party is at 4…then you go into super work mode.
4. Music – Kick out the jams. Put on some great music, put on the headphones, and let me crank away. I have a special Spotify playlist of 20 songs that I change out weekly (mix of indie pop, rap, and classic rock)
5. Alcohol – Not drinking on the job…but it is the social lubricant where a lot of work is actually done. Where all the BS is put away and the connections are made so you work through the problem that’s been taking forever.
Bonus Tip - Telework - If I really need to crank a bunch of work done, I need a day at home on telework just cranking out emails and documents.
What fuels you?
Check out some of my other "Top 5's"
- Top 5: Best Places to Have a Government Job
- Top 5: Worst Places to Have a Government Job
- Top 5: Reasons You Didn't Get the Promotion
- Top 10: What Works in Social Media
- Top 5: Ways to Handle a Boring Meeting
- Top 5 Signs You Need a New Job
- Top 5: Ways to Look Important at the Office
Want More GovLoop Content? Sign Up For Email Updates