Last week, I wrote a post listing nine things federal employees can do to reach their income potential. This week, I list the last 12 habits based off the book, Rich Habits – The Daily Success Habits of Wealthy Individuals, by Tom Corley. They are:
- You Reject Self-Limiting Thoughts – Successful people command their thoughts and emotions. They cast out bad thoughts as soon as they enter the mind, they do not dwell on them. They replace bad thoughts with good ones. Because successful people engage in self-improvement daily and are constantly involved in positive things, they don’t allow themselves time to indulge in negative emotions.
- You Live Within Your Means – Wealthy people avoid overspending. Among those who are struggling financially, almost all are living above their means. They spend more than they earn, live from paycheck to paycheck, and are drowning in credit card debt. If this is you, resolve today to turn things around for you and your family.
- You Read Every Day – Did you know that 88 percent of wealthy people read 30 minutes or more every day? Reading will increase your knowledge and know-how. When you read, you are seeking to improve yourself. This automatically sets you apart from your counterpart. You will stand out over the competition.
- You Limit the Time You Watch TV – Did you know that 67 percent of wealthy people limit the amount of time they watch TV to one hour or less per day? How much time do you lose in front of the television, that you could be spending doing something more productive?
- You Do More Than What’s Required at Work – Successful people regularly go above and beyond at work. Even if something is not in their work description, they will volunteer and do it. Wealthy people make themselves invaluable. How are you doing in this area?
- You Talk Less and Listen More – When you listen, you learn. As the adage goes, that’s why we have two ears and one mouth. When you take the time to really listen to what another person is saying, it can truly help you not only as a person, but your bottom line as well. When you listen, you are in a better position to help others.
- You Do Not Give Up – Wealthy people do not give up when the going gets tough. They hang in there. They pivot. They try something new. They persist. They may have to change direction, but they keep moving forward.
- You Spend Time with Like-Minded Ones – There is a saying that goes, “Show me who your friends are and I’ll show you who you are.” I believe that. We are only as successful as the people we choose to surround ourselves with. Good association helps you to more quickly achieve your goals.
- You Find Mentors – Among the wealthy, 93 percent who had a mentor attributed their success to that person. Mentors can help you achieve your goals faster. They can keep you accountable. They can share valuable experience that can cut your learning in half.
- You Know Your Why – When you know why you are doing something, you will get what you what quicker than if you don’t. Having a purpose is essential to being successful in business and in life. Why do you want to be successful? Why do you really want to be wealthy?
- You Do Not Give Your Fear the Upper Hand – Let’s face it, we all have fears. Successful people don’t allow their fears to limit or define them. Fear inevitably keeps you in the same position and stunts your growth. Recognize the fear and seek ways to overcome them. Interview someone you admire and ask them how they overcame their fears or pick up and autobiography and take notes.
- You Regularly Upgrade Your Skills – If you want to get ahead, there’s only one way to do it, you’ve got to become better at something than you are today. What is the one thing you can focus on for the next 30 days that will catapult you to rock star status in your industry? Focus your attention on that. I heard John Lee Dumas from Entrepreneur on Fire define F.O.C.U.S. like this: Follow One Course Until Success. Will you?
Meiko Patton is part of the GovLoop Featured Blogger program, where we feature blog posts by government voices from all across the country (and world!). To see more Featured Blogger posts, click here.