Start your day off right
Before you get started on your work for the day there are a few things you should consider in order to be more productive. By taking these few minutes before you hit the grindstone every day you can organize your thoughts and needs for the day and really make a positive impact on your efficiency. Here is a short list of the questions I believe will help you in pursuit of that goal:
- What is the thing that you want to do the least that has to get done today? I know I’ve brought up this point before in a recent blog but I truly believe that once you identify your most undesirable tasking for the day and knock it out, your entire day afterwards seems downhill.
- You should write down the couple of things that you meant to do yesterday that you didn’t get to and make sure that you get them done today.
- What’s the most important thing you have to achieve this week and what is the next step you need to take to get you closer to that goal?
- What things am I doing today that are helping achieve the long term vision and mission of the organization? This point I covered extensively in recent blogs on the ideas of thinking big but starting small. It’s important to keep the big picture in mind when you’re doing things. You don’t want to get so bogged down in the minutia of the tactical world that you lose sight of your ultimate end game.
- Who can help me achieve the things that I need to get done today? Anything you need other people’s help on, you need to coordinate in the morning if you expect their help on it today. So getting people in motion early helps you be more productive without actually taking any more of your time.
These are just a few things I like to think about every morning before I start work in hopes that it can help make my day run a little smoother and efficiently. I’d love to hear anyone else’s thoughts on things they think I missed on this list or their morning routines.