When you hear the term "under 5", you automatically think of a child; not employees at a federal agency. Under 5 is a group of employees at the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) who has a mission that attracts employees who are talented and committed to making a difference in the lives of all Americans. However, once the honeymoon is over, how do you keep these employees engaged? The Under 5 representatives of HUD shared these tips:
- Recognize that orientation is not a one day event. Continue to learn and continue to grow.
- Build relationships and get to know people.
- Find a champion and let that person(s) rally for you
- Be clear about your plan and highlight accomplishments/results
- Do it WRONG first, then fix it. This is a means of proving yourself
Under 5 is for employees with less than 5 years of federal service; however the group is open to everyone regardless of length of service. The largest demographic at HUD is employees with less than 5 years of service.