For a customer, we at Kind of Digital have been putting together a prototype system using WordPress to crowdsource ideas from the public.
We’ve done plenty of reading about previous attempts at this sort of thing, and hopefully have avoided a few of the traps that other projects of this type have fallen into.
- Is completely configurable and customisable in terms of look and feel, branding etc
- Can ask for various bits of information in the idea submitting process to help structure the contributions
- Allows ideas to be rated and commented on by other visitors
- Displays prominent lists of the most popular and latest ideas to be submitted
- All content can be pre-moderated before being published
- As it’s WordPress, you can publish other content like news or blog posts and static pages with help and other information in
- As it’s all open source, you can pull your data out whenever you like and host it somewhere else
Right now, we’re just tidying up the prototype. I’d share the screenshots, but the branding makes it pretty obvious who the client is, so I probably shouldn’t.
However, if anyone is interested, we’re definitely planning on making it a service we can provide to other organisations, and it’ll be pretty keenly priced.
If you’d like to know more, and maybe get a private demonstration of what we have right now, drop me a line at [email protected].