Last week in Austin, TX was an amazing time at South by Southwest (SXSW). Apart from catching up with colleagues and friends that I don’t usually get to see on a regular basis, I just felt more apart of the “what’s around the corner” vibe that originally brought me to the event.
This was partly due to the fact that I had a great time during my panel session and meeting great people interested in taking innovative concepts from the developing world and making them useful as solutions here in the States (reverse innovation). In a recent post I shared some resources from past SXSW events and here I’ll be outlining things mentioned during the panel session. Another big thanks for the folks who came out to listen to me and my panel teammates on this concept.
In addition to myself (and good grief was I in awesome company..) –
Resources Mentioned During Panel:
- Mpesa (mobile banking)
- Noted Schools of Global/Public Health (Emory, Duke, UNC, UMD)
- Salt Lake Valley Health Department interview (from here at Pulse + Signal blog) Part 1 | Part 2
- Medic Mobile
- Knight Foundation News Challenge
- Sustain or Die: The Rise of Public Health 2.0
- FastForward Health Film Festival (which I am co-founder)
- Uber (example of disruptive idea in public transportation)
- Drishtee (the Acumen Fund example I mentioned re: kiosks & democratizing innovation)
Hopefully the podcast that was recorded during our session will be up on the SXSW website soon and I will be sharing that as well with an update to this post. Feel free to get in touch if you have any questions or more comments!