I wish the prevailing attitude towards government workers wasn’t so overwhelmingly superior. Inc. just ran a blog post about the five things entrepreneurs can learn from bureaucrats. And while we can give them credit for the bold assertion that the private sector can learn from government workers, I’m pretty sure that there are more things that the private sector could learn from their bureaucratic counterparts than the five things listed:
1. Take the Long View
2. Work to Live
3. Put processes over results (at least some times)
4. Put fairness first.
5. Sometimes good enough is, well, good enough.
My additions include:
- Making money isn’t everything – contributing to the common good is pretty awesome too.
- Thinking holistically: when your customer base is counted in the billions, you’d better think about second and third-order effects.
- Manage your professional activities so that your career can stand the Washington Post test.
I’m sure there are a lot more… Please chime in with what’s right with the federal bureaucrats you know and what the private sector could learn from them.