Many of our clients shared with us their frustration with their current state of business development (BD). They either weren’t growing fast enough because they weren’t bidding on enough projects that were in their sweet spot, or they had wasted money going after poorly qualified opportunities that they had no chance of winning. All of these were symptoms of a broken BD process. To add an insult to an injury, majority of them had a bad experience with their business development service provider (either an employee or a consultant). It happened because of three main reasons:
- ost business developers get their jobs purely on the merit of their relationships – where the word “relationships” is akin to magic. The truth is that relationships are not enough. Federal Business Development is a profession that requires serious training (consider taking our upcoming workshop “Foundations of Federal Business Development” on September 11, 2012 at www.ostglobalsolutions.com/federal-business-development-training.php to learn the ins and outs of the profession). Most business developers lack professional training and experience in business development, capture, and proposal management. As a result, it may take up to a year to find out, the hard way, that they don’t know what they are doing, when results are few and far between, and the company has risked its money and business future on this one business developer.
- Business developers tout their relationships to get hired, but the truth is that many of those relationships go stale within 2-3 years if not actively cultivated. Also, many of these relationships are not that strong to begin with. In reality, it takes a special kind of person to maintain ongoing relationships with current leaders: they have to have previously held a high position, be currently active (and successful) in the business arena, be the kind of a congenial person that people want to spend time with, and be someone who routinely does favors for people so that they are compelled to do the same in return. These individuals are few and far between, and if one is lucky to land a rainmaker of this caliber, they will cost upwards of $250,000 a year and incentives (even if they want to work for you full time, which many do not).
- With few exceptions, most companies don’t have a way to measure the effectiveness of the Business Developers’ work. At every check in, one is told that “Business Development is a long-term investment and one can’t expect to see results right away.” Although that is somewhat true, and one may see some results (a few meetings with potential customers and one or two opportunities that may surface), most companies don’t have a realistic way of measuring how effective their BD person is. Successful BD includes extensive metrics, documentation, and research results that will allow you more control and visibility into this vital part of the business.
The Foundations of Federal Business Development course will help develop professional skills important for business development success. You will gain understanding of the basics of Federal Business Development (BD) lifecycle, and learn how to navigate the U.S. Government market place, perform strategic BD planning, market analysis, federal marketing, pipeline development, opportunity qualification, and metrics to maximize your Pwin at our course on September 11, 2012: www.ostglobalsolutions.com/federal-business-development-training.php.
P.S.S.: If you need consulting support in capture and proposals or require a conference room to run your proposal, contact us at 301-384-3350 or at [email protected]. We have 900+ fully vetted capture and proposal managers, technical writers, graphic artists, orals coaches, editors, subject matter experts, and other proposal support. We have supported 18 out of the top 20 Federal Contractors and have won $18 Billion since 2005.
Workshops and Seminars
Don’t miss early bird registration pricing – it ends 3 weeks before each class. Register at www.ostglobalsolutions.com/training/schedule
|Date (2012)||Class Name|
|Sept 11||Foundations of Federal Business Development|
|Sept 12-13||Preparing Winning Multiple Award and Task Order Proposals|
|Sept 25-26||Foundations of Capture Management|
|Sept 27-28||Advanced Capture Management|
|Oct 9-10||Foundations of Proposal Management|
|Oct 11-12||Advanced Proposal Management|
|Oct 16-17||Writing Persuasive Federal Proposals|
|Oct 18-19||Developing a Winning Cost Volumes|
|Nov 13||Proposal Win Themes Development|
|Nov 14-15||Preparing Winning Multiple Award and Task Order Proposals|
|Nov 27-28||Foundations of Proposal Management|
|Nov 29-30||Foundations of Capture Management|
|Dec 3-4||Advanced Capture Management|
If you don’t find a class that suits your schedule, consider us for on-site corporate training at your company or for a webinar for your dispersed workforce if you have multiple locations.
Professional Proposal Tools and Self-Study Training
- Blueprint for Winning Government Contracts – Explains how to find opportunities, write winning proposals, and win multimillion dollar contracts to grow your small business in the federal market.
- Task Order Manual Template – Reusable professional toolset (electronic Word template) – instant download.
- Executive Summary Secrets – Self-study course (workbook and audio CD) to persuade evaluators to award the contract to you.
- How to Succeed as a Proposal Consultant – Tips to get more work, higher pay, and better clients – instant download.
- A Proposal Manager’s Essential Checklists – Reusable toolset for consistently successful proposal management and coordination.
- Proposal Resources Estimating Guide – Guide for determining required manpower and hours to calculate how much a proposal should cost.
- Six Strategies to Grow Aggressively in the Federal Market – Video course explaining how to succeed and grow in the highly competitive federal contracting market.