Geographic information systems (GIS) technology is becoming increasingly significant in the policy formation process across the globe. This fact is even more relevant for young government workers that are eager to impress their supervisors with innovative thinking and the development of new analytical tools.
If you are one of those ambitious young people looking for direction, you’re in luck! Esri’s Young Professional Network (YPN) is a community for those just starting out in GIS as well as experienced professionals that want to expand their knowledge.
The YPN motto is Learn, Connect, Lead:
- Learn through exploring different strategies to reach your dream career and ultimate professional success.
- Connect by enhancing your tech-savvy network base.
- Lead by learning new leadership skills and taking initiative in your office to develop new assets.
“YPN offers members the chance to take their career to the next level with training and networking that support career development,” according to Esri. Not only can members collaborate with like-minded peers, YPN folks will also have the ability to connect with industry experts and Esri leadership.
What other benefits are associated with becoming a part of the YPN community? At Esri’s much anticipated International User’s Conference in San Diego from July 20-24, there will be several sessions and activities tailored to YPN members. For example, on July 19th, there will be a YPN Welcome Social that will expose conference attendees to what they can expect for the upcoming week in terms of events, presenters to look out for, and other opportunities to connect with peers.
Another ongoing benefit for YPN members at the conference is a YPN lounge that provides attendees with a place to charge their technological devices, relax with their fellow young professionals, and grab a YPN button that will provide speedy entry into additional events. Sessions specifically for YPN members include:
- Promoting the Value of GIS within your Organization: A panel will discuss how GIS can help an organization take existing data and couple it with geospatial technology to solve complex problems in a user-friendly manner.
- The GIS Professional of Tomorrow: Four emerging leaders will share their unique journeys to success on an interactive panel. This workshop will allow attendees to pick the brains of the panelists to discover how to self-market, maintain your desired career path, and engage in mentorship programs.
- YPN Q&A with Jack Dangermond and Esri Thought Leaders: Meet Esri President, Jack Dangermond, and ask your most burning questions related to anything GIS or Esri.
Finally, cool off half way through the conference at the YPN Networking Social hosted at the San Diego Hilton Bayfront Pool. YPN members can network while enjoying food and beverages and discuss best practices learned from the conference.
This global network has the primary intent to provide a platform for members to fully learn the power of technology and how it can be successfully implemented in the policy world. Registration is $175.00 USD which covers all YPN events PLUS a pass to the Esri International User’s Conference.