Times are tough and budgets can be lean for training. So you have to make the most out of your training budget. (**We know full well as for our training conference Next Generation of Gov’t we created a 9 step ROI document***)
Here’s my top 5 tips to get the most out of training:
1. Search internally – Often your agency has classes taught internally. They may be hidden but search them out and take them.
2. Ask around – Not all training is the same. Ask your colleagues about their favorite training classes. And the reverse – which ones were lame.
3. Get the certificate – In the end, you want training that helps you in your career. Try to take training that fits in with your career goals – whether that is a Project Management Professionals certificate or Certified Internal Auditing (CIA).
4. Talk to the Budget guy – It seems to me that there is never any money for training and then there is tons at the end of the fiscal year. Stay close to the budget guy and see if you can use up some of that end of year money.
5. Keep those connections – In the end, one of the best things you get out of training is the people you met. Make sure to get their information and friend them on LinkedIn and GovLoop.
Check out some of my other “Top 5’s”
– Top 5: Best Places to Have a Government Job
– Top 5: Worst Places to Have a Government Job
– Top 5: Reasons You Didn’t Get the Promotion
– Top 10: What Works in Social Media
– Top 5: Ways to Handle a Boring Meeting
– Top 5 Signs You Need a New Job
– Top 5: Ways to Look Important at the Office