“Happiness doesn’t depend on any external conditions, it is governed by our mental attitude.” – Dale Carnegie
Here are five qualities to cultivate that can significantly enhance the quality of your life:
1. A sense of humor…the ability to find laughter in any situation can help you gain new perspective and make others smile. Being able to laugh at yourself is an invaluable quality.
2. Meaning and purpose…determine what makes you happy. Find out what you can do make someone else happy. Find out your “why” and you will be happier than most.
3. Resiliency…learn to bounce back from life’s experiences, take what you’re handed, and triumph over it. Being able to get up after a disappointment is the way to success. It’s not how many times you get knocked down, but how many times you get up.
4. Learning…always be open to new ideas and gaining knowledge of the world around you. It will contribute to your happiness. As federal employees, we have to invest in our own education. Be a continual learner. Always invest in you.
5. Good physical health…get plenty of rest, eat a well‐balanced diet, drink water and exercise daily.
The 5 qualities that you mention are absolutely CRITICAL to creating a productive, fulfilling, abundant career in government. Thank you for highlighting them!