Applying For Benefits – When A Federal Employee Dies

When a federal employee dies family members or representatives must apply for benefits. Benefits are not automatically distributed. The forms differ depending on the retirement system your deceased family member was a part of. Standard Form (SF) 2800 is used for those individuals who were covered under the Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS). Standard Form (SF) 3104 or 3104B are applicable for those individuals covered under the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS).

In addition to completing the applicable forms, a death certificate must be attached along with a certificate of marriage where appropriate. The form should be mailed to:

Office of Personnel Management, Retirement Operations Center, P. O. Box 45, Boyers, PA 16017-0045. When a widow or widower applies for benefits for themselves and/or on behalf of children it is only necessary to submit one application.

Be careful to put your information in a safe, secure place so that it can be available when needed.

P. S. Always Remember to Share What You Know.

Leave a Comment

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply