Just Released: Official DoD Social Media Policy to "provide access to Internet-based capabilities" http://bit.ly/aEHMP8
So basically, it's now official that DoD folks can access Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, etc. and establish official presences on these websites. What to expect:
- CIO: Will provide implementation guidance. After all, there is some tech involved in the proper use of each tool.
- USD (Intelligence): Estimate threats, develop guidance to maintain operational security. Makes sense, they probably know best!
- ASD for Public Affairs: Provide policy for the information and multimedia distributed. Very important mission!
I'm just excited at this point, others' thoughts on the matter? Looks like we can move forward, if you haven't already, in doing the following:
- Get leadership buy-in for external presences.
- On your profiles, add links to, and short summaries of records management and policy disclaimers.
- Define the intended use of your presence, your leadership might need language to send on up the chain.
- Determine the proper use of your logos/DoD seal on these sites.