BIM Construction Cost Estimating – Top Ten List
First and foremost BIM is the life-cycle management of the built environment supported by digital technology. While the industry is currently fixated upon 3D visualization tools, aka Revit, Archicad, Bentely… they only represent optional components of a BIM solution.
Construction cost estimating, and robust, proven project delivery methods are requisite components of any efficient facility design, project delivery, repair, renovation, sustainability, or planning function.
The Top 10 List when considering true BIM and efficient facility life-cycle management:
1. Collaboration – involvement of all stakeholders – Owners, AE’s, Contractors, Oversight Groups, Community …
2. Transparency – Appropriate access to cost information, and associated comparison to published independent third-party costs, such as RSMeans Construction Cost Data.
3. Consistent Format and Terminology – Use of a standard set of terms and data architectures such as Uniformat, Masterformat,and Omniclass.
4. Metrics and Benchmarks – Time, Accuracy, Conditions, Cost…
5. Proper allowances for local conditions – geographic, weather, productivity of labor, security, …
6. Appropriate level of technology to assure productivity, collaboration, security, audit trail.
7. Robust Process – The application of a robust process and business “best-practices” with a focus upon continuous improvement.
8. Appropriate knowledge of all “levels” of construction cost estimating, cost engineering, and their potential accuracy – Square Foot / Conceptual / Building Level Construction Cost Estimating, Assembly / System Level Construction Cost Estimating, Unit Line Item Construction Cost Estimating.
9. Knowledge of the impact of the Construction Cost Delivery Method upon construction costs and life-cycle costs – Design-Bid-Build, [email protected], Design-Build, Job Order Contracting, Integrated Project Delivery
10. Fundamental understanding of Total Cost of Ownership and Facility Life-cycle Management – Physical and functional conditions, Operations, Sustainability, Renovation, Repair, Efficient Project Delivery Methods (IPD-Integrated Project Delivey, JOC – Job Order Contracting)