GS levels by education

Some may be wondering the GS levels of federal jobs. here is the list below.

  • GS-1: No high school diploma
  • GS-2 (GS-3 for clerk-steno positions): High school diploma
  • GS-3: 1 year of full-time study after high school
  • GS-4: Associate degree or 2 years of full-time study after high school
  • GS-5 or GS-7: depending on agency policy and applicant’s academic credentials Bachelor’s degree or 4 years of full-time study after high school
  • GS-7: Bachelor’s degree plus 1 year of full-time graduate study
  • GS-9(GS-11 for some research positions): Master’s degree or 2 years of full-time graduate study
  • GS-9: Law degree (J.D. or LL.B.)
  • GS-11(GS-12 for some research positions): Ph.D. or equivalent doctorate or advanced law deg

Leave a Comment

One Comment

Leave a Reply

Jenyfer Johnson

That’s interesting but not always true. If you read job descriptions most of the time they will ask for the degree Sut state “or equivalent years of experience.”

I’m a GS-11, having started my career almost 27 years ago with a 2-year A.A.S., hired in as a GS-7 on a career ladder to a GS-11. It took me a little longer to get there due to BRAC, a RIF and changing jobs (Engineering Tech to a Environmental Protection Specialist) but I’m here. I didn’t go back and get another degree but have used the training offered to me to further my career. I now am the Hazardous Materials and Waste Program Manager for an AFB and have quite a bit of responsibility.

Education is great (don’t think I’m putting it down) but experience counts for alot as well.