I am posting this with the permission of the NARA staff person who sent it to me. Patrice McDermott
National Archives and Records Administration
8601 Adelphi Road
College Park, Maryland 20740-6001
The National Archives and Records Administration is updating our Strategic Plan, Preserving the Past to Protect the Future: The Strategic Plan of the National Archives and Records Administration, 2006-2016. Although we are still committed to the basic goals and thrust of our 10-year plan, regular updates let us manage changes in priorities, identify new mission requirements, and take credit for accomplishments.
Our proposed changes for this update of our Strategic Plan include:
• Strategies for expanding NARA’s leadership in Federal records management, including electronic records management
• A strategy for establishing a new National Declassification Center
• Recognition of the Electronic Records Archives (ERA) as one tool in a larger electronic records program
• Inclusion of social media tools as new ways for the public and NARA to interact
• Inclusion of NARA’s National Historical Publications and Records Commission
• New human capital measures for telework and fast, effective hiring
• Progress made since our last plan was issued.
To complete the process of updating our Strategic Plan, we need your help. We are asking you as one of our stakeholders to assess the draft plan so that we can be sure that the final version reflects real concerns and meets real needs. We invite you to review the plan and provide us with comments.
The draft plan is available on our web site at http://www.archives.gov/about/plans-reports/strategic-plan/.
Please send your comments by email to [email protected], by mail to Susan M. Ashtianie, Director, Policy and Planning Staff, National Archives and Records Administration, 8610 Adelphi Road, Room 4100, College Park, Maryland 20740-6001, or by fax to 301-837-0319, by August 5, 2009.
We look forward to the benefit of your advice.
External Affairs Liaison
Office of the Archivist