I don’t know how else to say it: we crushed it in 2015!
What started out as a response to 30,000 people attending GovLoop online trainings and OPM asking us to convert a classroom-based course in 2013 has become an award-winning learning development division at GovLoop.
First, some quick statistics just to give you a sense of our growth:
- In 2009, we had 20,000 GovLoop members. That number is over 200,000 members today.
- In 2013, roughly 30,000 GovLoop members participated in our online training. In 2015, that number has jumped to 45,000.
- In 2014, we stood up a learning division dedicated to working with government to develop innovative learning experiences. We had 6 projects last year. That number has tripled to 17 in 2015.
- Out of those 17 projects, 100% of the agencies that worked with us in 2014 entered into a follow-on interagency agreement with us in 2015…and it’s looking likely that the same will be true in 2016.
- Lastly, three of those projects earned awards from Chief Learning Officer Magazine, the Federal Government Distance Learning Association (FGDLA), the Training Officers Consortium and Human Capital Management for Government (HCMG).
As we’ve always tried to do at GovLoop, I wanted to share examples of our work with you in the hopes that you might replicate what we’ve found to be a successful approach. Below are a few of the award-winning, innovative projects that are transforming learning for government.
The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) is an agency within the U.S. Department of Transportation that is responsible for ensuring that America’s roads and highways continue to be safe and technologically sound.
Last year, FHWA won several awards for implementing a flipped classroom approach to train their dispersed workforce on operations and safety disciplines. The flipped classrooms used engaging video elements and online classroom discussions to greatly reduce training costs and increase participation.
The Office of Entrepreneurship Education’s mission is to provide entrepreneurial information and education, resources and tools to help small businesses succeed.
To help reach and train over 15000 mentors and counselors who serve small businesses, the SBA’s Office of Entrepreneurial Education’s created a Partner Training Portal last year.
The award-winning portal is an easy to use, centralized site with up-to-date information on SBA’s core products and services. Most content is provided as printable PDF documents or short vignettes. Topics covered include Basic Loans, Contracting, Disaster Loans, Counseling and Training.
Federal Executive Institute, Center for Leadership Development, Office of Personnel Management
OPM’s Center for Leadership Development (CLD) is dedicated to transforming leaders to better serve the Federal government. Last year, CLD’s Federal Executive Institute (FEI) asked GovLoop to modernize their Leadership in a Democratic Society (LDS) Crisis Leadership course, using engaging videos and virtual discussion groups. The award-winning course covered how to be a leader during a variety of government crises, such as the recent shutdown, the active shooter situation in Navy Yard and the evacuation of a Chicago Air Traffic Control Center.
Check out this presentation for even more awesome government learning projects GovLoop worked on:
Know of other government organizations that are innovating their learning programs? Let us know in the comments!
And if you need help developing training, let us know that, too! We don’t do status quo work – we transform training. Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or Julia Taylor at email@example.com to schedule a meeting.