Blogging live from Next Generation of Gov’t Summit.
Kick-off speaker is Matt Collier, head of OPM’s “Making Government Cool Again” initiative. Some notes:
– Started out wanting to be a pilot
– Interned in a congressional office, then worked at Homeland Security
– Went to Stanford, swore he’d never return to DC
– Tapped by Obama Administration to “make government cool again”
3 Ways Government is Trying to Make Government Cool
– Outlined “Pathways to Public Service” Project – streamlining process to get a government job
– Talked about “Results Only Work Environment” – trying to prove effectiveness of mobile workers
– Lastly, OPM is creating an “Innovation Lab” – including fun work environments
– “In the confrontation between river and rock, the river always wins” – be patient and persistent.
– Don’t fight your senior leaders. Learn from them. They’ve probably tried it and hit the same walls.