We spend nearly all day inside buildings and have developed custom ecosystems and habitats. With modern technology, we can monitor and control nearly all the elements and conditions within our buildings. When you stop and think about it, our buildings’ data are its vital signs, telling us essential information about its health. This data is similar to how we monitor our heart rate, blood pressure, cholesterol and related metrics to define our personal health, telling us a story about our health and well-being. As facilities and building managers, do you know what your building is trying to tell you?
With this industry perspective, you will begin your journey to explore how effective management of your building’s data creates new insights for your organization. This allows you to listen to what your building is telling you.
Our journey starts by exploring IBM®’s Smarter Buildings approach. Our buildings are creating troves of data, which deserve careful study and analysis. Let’s start our expedition by understanding the term, “Smarter Buildings.” IBM® defines Smarter Buildings as: “Well-managed, integrated physical and digital infrastructures that provide optimal occupancy services in a reliable, cost effective and sustainable manner.” To explore this definition GovLoop spoke with five IBM® experts working on cutting-edge practices around IBM®’s Smarter Buildings programs:
- Robert L. Biciocchi, Director of Smarter Cities Solutions, GBS, Public Sector, IBM® Global Business Services
- Carolyn O. Marsh, US Federal Client Executive, IBM®
- Brandon Patterson, Project Executive, IBM® Global Business Services
- Greg Peterson, P.E., Manager, Global Energy, IBM®
- Joe Phillips, Director, Smarter Buildings Solutions, IBM®
Learn more about Smarter Buildings by viewing these additional resources:
- Did You Know That By 2025 Buildings Will be the Largest Emitters of Greenhouse Gases on the Planet?
- How to Leverage Data Throughout Your Building’s Entire Life-Cycle
- Do You Know What Your Building Data is Telling You?
The IBM Analytics Solution Center (ASC) is part of a network of global analytics centers that provides clients with the analytics expertise to help them solve their toughest business problems. Check out their Analytics to Outcomes group on GovLoop.