Here are 3 reasons why September is a good time to update your resume!
- Its nearly time for your annual performance review and you want to position yourself or a raise.
- One of your contacts approaches you with a great job opportunity and needs your resume, now!
- You learn that your job is in the re-organization, or you are on the RIF list.
What you should include:
- Your accomplishments since your last update: Did you initiate or work on a special project (both work or volunteer)? Be specific and quantify your results as much as possible. Did you surpass goals? Save time and/or money? Go above and beyond? Who benefited from your efforts?
- Awards or recognition you've received. Recall both the verbal and e-mail props.
- Gain new skills? List training, conferences you attended or certifications you earned.
- Have your career goals shifted? If your focus changed since your last update, go through your entire resume to be sure everything is strategic and relevant.
- Is your contact information up-to-date? Be sure you have a professional email address (not your employee email) and a mobile phone number that only you answer. Check that outgoing message. Is it something you'd want a prospective boss to hear?
Keep you resume or CV up-to-date to be ready for your next turn in your career!