Not a Govloop Member? 30 Secs & Free to Join for Great Info & Perks
I’ve had a lot of bosses and there are always things I wish they did. Some were subtle and others a little broader.
So here’s my top 5:
- Fire the Lazy Worker – Everybody knows X, Y, and Z do no work. They are a drain on the system and it is painful to see they get paid same amount or more. Everybody knows, you included, and you aren’t doing anything about it.
- Share your calendar – People want to know what you are up to. It helps us get a sense of what is going on in our department and is quite easy.
- Smile some more – Nobody likes going to an office where the boss is always done and depressed about our work. The type that says what we are doing doesn’t matter. How do you expect me to care if you don’t?
- Reassurance – Bosses often only say thanks or congrats or good job at the end of a performance review. I think it’s super key to provide reassurance along the way when good work is being done.
- Take a break – Good bosses tell everyone to take a break – celebrate a birthday, someone leaving, or a new award. Give people a half-day when they are stressed.
Check out some of my other "Top 5's"
- Top 5: Gov't Shows That Should Exist
- Top 5: Tips For Summer Interns
- Top 5: Best Places to Have a Government Job
- Top 5: Worst Places to Have a Government Job
- Top 5: Reasons You Didn't Get the Promotion
- Top 10: What Works in Social Media
- Top 5: Ways to Handle a Boring Meeting
- Top 5 Signs You Need a New Job
- Top 5: Ways to Look Important at the Office