A friend recently asked me, “You work in recruitment for the government, but you’re under a hiring freeze… What do you do all day?”
I resisted the urge to say something snarky like, “Recruiters aren’t bears – we don’t hibernate and wait for the freeze to thaw.”
The business of recruitment isn’t a 100-meter dash, it’s a long distance run. At IRS, we’re looking at the hiring freeze as a time to condition and train. That way, we’re in the best possible shape when the freeze is lifted.
Our workout routine includes:
- Evaluating the effectiveness of current initiatives
- Developing strategies to improve targeted outreach
- Maintaining an active presence online and in the social media world
- Networking and staying informed about what’s on the minds of job seekers
- Attending webinars and training sessions
What does your organization do to keep employees motivated and active during slow periods?
Recruitment 411 is the official blog of the IRS Recruitment Office.