Very cool…just got this info. And have to say – best set of judges I’ve seen on apps contest (Andreeson, Feld, Booker – dope! (plus other folks are sweet too)
In just a few weeks, the Apps for Communities contest closes. We challenged developers and designers with creating apps that improve daily life in cities by making local public information more personalized, usable, and actionable for all Americans.
We’ve had over 45 submissions so far and more are rolling in as the deadline approaches. Can we have your help reaching more developers and designers? We would love your help blogging and sharing about the app challenge on social media. We know that many people are making apps that provide a social good — and they might as well earn prizes and public recognition!
Along the way, we’ve provided an idea forum to voice and vote on app ideas. It’s been a long process, and many people have helped promote the contest, such as Craig Newmark of Craig’s List. You can check out who’s posted great tweets on our recent blog post: The Buzz about Apps for Communities on Twitter.
Now, we’d like to introduce you to our judges:
- Marc Andreessen — Co-Founder and General Partner of Andreessen Horowitz
- Charles Best — Founder and CEO of DonorsChoose.org
- Cory Booker — Mayor of Newark, New Jersey
- Brad Feld — Managing Director of Foundry Group
- Tom Lee — Director of Sunlight Labs
- Jennifer Pahlka — Founder, Executive Director and Board Chair of Code for America
For the winners, we’re offering $100k in prizes — $30k as the grand prize, $20k for 2nd, $10k for 3rd, and many bonuses for different categories such as best design and visualization, best use of SMS, digital proficiency, and English literacy. See the full list of prizes at the bottom of the page here: http://appsforcommunities.challenge.gov/
If you’re ready to write a quick blog post to help increase exposure, our website has plenty of detailed information on the challenge.
Here are sample social media posts you can share:
- [Your Blog Post Title & link] – @communityapps
- I support Apps for Communities! @communityapps http://bit.ly/apps4cmty – enter by 10/3, $100k in prizes
- Make your city more livable. @CommunityApps is challenging #developers to create #apps by 10/3. http://bit.ly/apps4cmty
- I challenge you to create an app & enter it in Apps for Communities! @CommunityApps http://bit.ly/apps4cmty
If you’re sharing on a Facebook page, just remember to Like us first, then write @Apps for Communities to link the post to us (and expand the text to Facebook writing style).