Government employees and contractors know how important professional development events and resources are. Not only can they help you do your job better, but they can also drive your career forward.
You’re invited to join NextGen Nation, a community built for government employees to get the training and resources necessary to be a rock star public servant. The Next Generation of Government Training Summit is also a core element of NextGen Nation. For the past nine years, it’s been the place for govies to come together to get inspired and invigorated to do great work.
The NextGen website provides tons of details around our annual summit (also outlined below), but it’s also a great place to find helpful government resources outside of the summit, including:
- Millenials and Manager’s Blog: We’re updating this blog weekly with blogs and articles on hot gov career topics like how to stay innovative, increasing resiliency in the workplace, conflict management, employee engagement and much, much more.
- Online Trainings: We also offer free online trainings on tons of career-related topics! Our next one is coming up on Thursday, March 22 and we’ll discuss how to get agency support (and budget!) for professional development.
- Rock Your Resume Toolkit: We’ve compiled everything you need to create a rock solid resume and cover letter.
You can join NextGen Nation here and you’ll automatically receive the NextGen newsletter as well as invites to special professional development trainings and events.
But let’s not forget about the NextGen Summit!
This year’s summit is going to be the biggest and best yet with more than 700 govies representing over 50 government organizations in attendance. The Summit will host over 60 expert speakers and 25 breakout sessions to choose from (all mapped to OPM’s Executive Core Qualifications). And you will earn up to 12 Continuing Professional Education (CPE) credits.
Sounds great, right? Here’s even more information you can browse to get a feel for what the NextGen Summit will offer this year:
Schedule: Two full days of hands-on breakout sessions plus over 10 inspirational keynotes, including:
- Map Your Own Career by Building Your Personal Brand: Learn how to create an awesome career plan and how it can enhance your performance review. We’ll also review different certifications or degrees that can help you stand out.
- How Gov Can Embrace Diverse Experience, Backgrounds and Thinking: We’ll explore the neurological and behavioral sciences underpinning empathy and the vital role empathy plays in effective government leadership.
- Using Data to Brief Your Boss: Learn how to leverage data to brief your supervisors or team – no matter your role in government.
- Project Planning and Project Management Tips and Tricks for Non-PMs: You don’t have to be a project manager to make a project work effectively. We’ll discuss tips, tricks, and tools you can utilize to get more done, better.
Office Hours: Meet one-on-one with career counselors, resume coaches, financial advisors, mentors, government innovators and tech experts.
Awards: Learn about and honor 30 public servants who are going above and beyond the call of duty at the NextGen Public Service Awards ceremony and reception.
Testimonials: Don’t just take our word for it – hear what past gov attendees had to say about their NextGen experience:
- “This 2-day training summit is amazing – you would have to attend about 7 weeks of training to attempt to get the best practices you can dive into here – categorized by where you are in your career, ECQs, and the latest and greatest in leadership and key skills.”
- “NextGen was more than just a training conference; NextGen is where I not only rediscovered my passion for public service but also had that ‘Aha moment’. I realized that I also have a role to play in not only improving my agency but also improving the public’s perception of the Federal workforce.”
If you’re ready to start the approval process, check out these two handy resources:
- Approval Toolkit: includes a sample SF-182 form and justification letter you can customize to send to your manager.
- Blog Post: 9 Tips for Asking For Training Dollars (Even When Budgets are Tight)
Don’t hesitate to get in touch with us with any questions about NextGen! You can email us directly at [email protected]. We look forward to seeing you at NextGen 2018!