The Robertson Foundation for Government, a nonprofit family foundation dedicated to helping government meet its talent needs by identifying, educating, and motivating top U.S. graduate students to pursue federal government careers, and GovLoop, the leading knowledge network for government, have teamed up again to create, “Getting Into Government: A Guide for High Achievers.”This guide is a blend of succinct information and anecdotal insight from more than a dozen of the top career experts as well as current government employees who know how to navigate the government application process. From a step-by-step walk-through of setting up a USAJOBS search to a behind-the-scenes look at what happens to resumes once they’re submitted to an agency, this guide demystifies the process and equips job seekers to launch their public sector career.
The High Achiever guide is a comprehensive resource for every stage of the application and hiring process, including:
- Understanding how to set up a search on USAJOBS.gov and filter out jobs that aren’t a good fit,
- Breaking down special hiring programs and lesser known international and intelligence jobs,
- Defining terms like grade and series, and offering insider tips on finding top opportunities
- Revealing a step-by-step explanation of what happens during the application review process,
- Sharing concrete tips for crafting a government-specific resume, and
- Giving insight on proactive network building and how to conduct an informational interview