Whether you’re a federal, state or local government employee, teamwork, camaraderie and companionship can enrich your career. Joining a government association provides a long list of benefits such as leadership, mentorship, networking and advocacy.
No matter what agency, GS level or office you serve, there is an association for you. Check out our list of some of the best associations out there so that you can join some of your fellow government rockstars!
- Partnership for Public Service: The Partnership for Public Service is an organization for federal agencies and other stakeholders to improve government. The partnership not only assists federal agencies in regards to best practices and leadership, but highlights the value of public servants to the general public.
- National Federation of Federal Employees (NFFE): The NFFE is a national union that seeks to promote the social and economic interests of federal workers. The NFFE represents its members through collective bargaining and legislative lobbying.
- National Association of Hispanic Federal Executives (NAHFE): The NAHFE is oriented around empowering and inspiring the next generation of Hispanic Senior Executives. The NAHFE seeks to increase the number of Hispanic Senior Executive Service members by collaborating with federal agencies, disseminating information and providing training.
- Federal Employee Association (FEA): FEA seeks to promote the social and financial welfare of not only its members, but all government employees.
- American Council for Technology and Industry Advisory Council(ACT-IAC): ACT-IAC is geared towards advancing government through collaboration, education, and action. This is achieved by providing both government and industry persons with a forum to exchange ideas and information.
- The Association for Federal Information Resources Management (AFFIRM): AFFIRM is an educational, volunteer-based organization focused on advancing the administration of information, and other resources, within the Federal government.
State and Local Government
- International City/County Management Association (ICMA): The ICMA brings together local government officials worldwide and fosters professional development through various services, publications, research and training.
- National Association of Counties (NaCo): NaCo consists of over 3,000 county governments. The association unites its members over issues relating to national policy, public service and leadership.
- Engaging Local Government Leaders (ELGL): ELGL strongly believes in making a difference at the local government level. Their three pillars for achieving this are connecting, communicating, and educating within local government workers across the country.
- National Association of State Budget Officers (NASBO): NASBO is a professional membership organization for state budget officers across the country. NASBO seeks to enhance state budget practices with research, education, policy analysis, and networking among its employees.
- State Government Affairs Council (SGAC): The SGAC is a national association joining together state government affairs workers. They focus on networking and professional development, as well as educating members and championing ethical standards in government relations.
For Specific Roles:
- Association of Government Accountants (AGA): The AGA is the premier organization for financial professionals working in government at a federal, state and local level.
- International Public Management Association for Human Resources (IPMA-HR): The IPMA-HR is the leading public sector resource organization for HR professionals at all levels of government.
- National Grants Management Association (NGMA): NGMA provides tools and resources for grants professionals. The association serves its members who are at all levels of government through management training, professional certifications and networking opportunities.
- Association for Talent Development (ATD): ATD, formerly known as the ASTD, is a professional membership organization that supports leaders in human resources and talent development.
- Federal Managers Association: The Federal Managers Association represents the interests of over 200,000 federal managers, supervisors and executives. The oldest and largest organization of its kind, it works to promote excellence in public service.
- Senior Executives Association (SEA): SEA is a non-profit professional organization for current and former federal executives. The association advocates the concerns of its members in addition to also providing them with resources for professional development.
- National Association of State Chief Information Officers (NASCIO): NASCIO is a national nonprofit organization that represents state chief information officers and IT executives and managers. Oriented around best practices, information management, and technology policy, the association allows membership from municipal, federal, and international government officials as well.
- American Association for Budget and Program Analysis (AABPA): The AABPA enables managers and analysts at the federal, state, and local level to overcome the unique challenges that they face within their roles. The association serves its members by representing their interests, providing educational resources, and networking opportunities.
- National Association of Government Communicators (NAGC): With members at the federal, state, and local level, the NAGC is a non profit association with members across an array of jobs and functions within communications.
- National Contract Management Association (NCMA): The NCMA is a 20,000 member strong organization for professionals in both the public and private sector. The organization serves acquisition and procurement professionals by providing them with educational resources and professional growth opportunities.
- Young Professionals in Foreign Policy (YPFP): YPFP is a membership organizations comprised of young professionals seeking a career in foreign policy. They provide members with the knowledge, skills, relationships, and exposure necessary for a successful foreign policy career.
All Levels of Government:
- National Association of Government Employees (NAGE): NAGE is a union comprised of private and public sector workers at the federal, state and local level. NAGE is affiliated with SEIU, the largest union in North America.
- National Association of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration (NASPAA): NASPAA is a membership organization for graduate education programs in public policy, affairs and administration.
- Young Government Leaders (YGL): The YGL professional organization consists of young government employees committed to providing young public servants with information, scholarships, fellowships, networking opportunities and more.
- American Society for Public Administration (ASPA): The ASPA is the biggest professional association focused on public administration in the country. They provide resources, foster communications, and lead the way in adhering to their four core principles: accountability and performance, professionalism, ethics, and social equity.
- American Student Government Association (ASGA): The ASGA works towards helping student government participants and sponsors through networking, research, and informational resources.
- Blacks in Government (BIG): BIG is a professional organization for African American government employees at the federal, state and local level.
- Society of American Indian Government Employees (SAIGE): SAIGE is a national non-profit organization that represents American Indian and Alaskan Native federal, state and local government employees. The society fosters a professional network for its members in addition to providing a forum for issues, challenges and opportunities.
- Federally Employed Women (FEW): FEW is a private non-profit organization oriented around advocacy and improving the status of women employed by the federal government. The multi-tiered organization works to fulfill its four major program areas of legislation, training, compliance and diversity.
- Federal Asian Pacific American Council (FAPAC): FAPAC is the leading national organization for Asian Americans and Pacific Islander federal employees.
Know of another great government association? Share it in the comments!