We all know that GEICO is devoted to public servants, but you may not know that GEICO has a commitment to giving back to those who serve our country. GEICO has established a brand new scholarship program at the University of Maryland University College (UMUC) for the spouses and children of federal government employees and military service members.
The program began with the endowment of five $1000 scholarships for the 2011 academic year and will continue to be given out on an annual basis.
According to GEICO Senior Vice President, Don Lyons, the scholarship provides the opportunity to enrich the lives of spouses and children of federal and military personnel, thus demonstrating GEICO's respect and devotion to those who serve.
To be eligible for the scholarship candidates must be
- UMUC students — U.S. and overseas
- Students enrolled in at least 6 credit hours during the award period at UMUC
- Spouses and children federal employees grades GS-1 through GS-15, and all active-duty enlisted military members
- Students who demonstrate financial need
- Students with a grade-point average of 2.8 or higher
For more information check out scholarship and application information at umuc.edu.
GEICO was created in 1936 to provide auto insurance to federal government employees and their families. 75 years later, GEICO is one of America’s strongest, most financially stable companies thanks to the company’s dedication and support of the federal worker. GEICO is a proud partner of GovLoop. Check out the GEICO Federal Program on Facebook.