Couldn’t join us at the Next Generation of Government Training Summit earlier this August? As much as we wish every single govie could join us at the Summit here in D.C., we know that expectation might be a little high.
However, we wanted to share some of the highlights from this year’s Summit with our entire community. Check out session recaps below as well as some social posts from our awesome attendees!
Incredible Keynote Speakers:
- How to Be Good at Life: Captain Deshauna Barber shared some of her own personal struggles and setbacks and explained to our attendees how being the best version of yourself will help you “be good at life” and succeed in your goals.
- How to Create Intentional Innovation: TrackMaven CEO, Allen Gannet explored our existing notions of creativity but also shared his thoughts on how we can all learn to harness our creativity and even cultivate it, rather than just waiting for it to happen.
- Become the Hero of Your Career: Dr. Elizabeth Kolmstetter, a veteran public servant and current Director of Talent Strategy and Workforce Engagement at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) explained why government employees who feel stuck in the professional doldrums should never fear – everyone has the potential for career heroism within themselves.
- The Imperative for Inclusive Leadership: Ori Braffman, founder and president of Starfish Leadership, as well as the author of the bestselling book, Radical Inclusion: What the Post–9/11 World Should Have Taught Us About Leadership, shared what he’s learned through his work is that “Inclusion is an imperative to succeed.”
- How to Break a Negative Culture Cycle: Chris Armstrong, Culture Executive at National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency, discussed the idea of “collective cultures” in the workplace and how they contribute to a negative atmosphere, and also shared insights on how to overcome this.
You can also check out recaps from some of the insightful breakout sessions:
- The Daily Challenge of Ethics with Patrick Malone, Executive Residence in Residence of Public Administration and Policy in American University
- You’re a Manager…Now What? with John Haverly, The Wiseman Group
- Mapping an Algorithm for Humans with Dr. Andrew L. Brooks, the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency’s (NGA) Chief Data Scientist
- Tuning Into Mindful Leadership with Sarah Marbach, a Business Strategy and Communication Manager with Aetna
- How You Can Make Your Meetings Better with Mary Abbajay, Author of Managing Up: How to Succeed with Any Type of Boss
- 4 Ways to Become a Government Influencer with Michelle Rosa, Cybersecurity Risk Analyst, U.S. Navy
In addition to all the great speakers and sessions, NextGen was a success because of all the amazing public servants who joined us for the two-day Summit. Here are some of their highlights and also be sure to check out #NextGenGov on Twitter and Instagram.
The speakers this year were incredible, and I’m happy so much is available online afterward – what a great resource!