Here is my list of the best focus group guides and resources. Knowing how to pitch, plan, facilitate, record and report the results of focus groups can be daunting. Whether you are using a contractor and want to ensure the quality of the research or you have to run a focus group yourself because there is no budget or time for a professional research firm, reading these guides and using these templates can get you up to speed in no time and help your focus groups deliver the results you need. (Also read my related post on icebreakers called: On the Rocks: Best Icebreaker Questions for Meetings and Focus Groups.)
GOVERNMENT SPECIFIC GUIDES
- HowTo.gov Focus Group Fundamentals – many resources for how to run a focus group
- Usability.gov Templates- Resources galore for usability testing, including templates
- NYC Listening to the Public– how to conduct citizen focus groups to rate government services-
OTHER FOCUS GROUP GUIDES
- CCCSE Focus Group Toolkit for conducting focus groups (with college students)- Has sample moderator guides, focus group reports, room set-up, invitation emails, consent forms, profile and response sheets for participants and even a sample post-focus group report.
- Wallace Foundation Workbook for Conducting Focus Groups- An 86-page guide which covers everything from inviting participants and writing the moderator’s guide, to how to set up the room and run the focus group:
- Guide to Conducting Focus Group Research – Describes the uses for focus group research, the various stages, and each of the roles involved in a focus group from facilitator to recorder (note-taker). Includes a Facilitator Guide, Recorder Guide, Debrief Template, and sample questions.
- Toolkit for Conducting Focus Groups: More of a 32-page training guide for focus group facilitation, does include checklists and a sample note-taking form
- Moderator Package for Student Focus Groups– Professional looking moderator guide with consent forms and tips. Includes post-study report ideas.
- MarketLink- The Focus Group Planning Guide http://www.marketlinkresearch.com/pdf/guide.pdf
- Designing and Conducting Focus Group Interviews-
If you have other resources to recommend, please post them as comments! Thanks!
Manager of Online and Offline Marketing and Ecommerce
for the U.S. Government Bookstore (Government Printing Office)